This principle is based on a state where it is propitiated that the thoughts move without restrictions “from one branch to another”, like the apes. Three guidelines to get out of rules and stereotypes and achieve innovative ideas
Allowing the mind to play with new ideas greatly favors finding new results to old problems (Getty)
Did anyone ever see a monkey sitting quietly and quietly? Impossible! The monkeys are always eating something, doing something, balancing.
Like his ancestor in the evolution of species, man, when he has nothing to do, chews gum, smokes, moves his legs restlessly, eats. It could be said that these are meaningless occupations, “monkey occupations”. Something must be done continuously to keep busy.
The principle of the creative mind is based on a mental state where we allow thoughts to move without restrictions from one branch to another
“The ‘monkey mind’ describes the habitual mental movement that all people have, some more than others, jumping from branch to branch, from subject to topic, from tree to tree, distracting us or simply wandering between one idea and another, a Thinking or visualizing Our mind works like this, we naturally zap mentally, as we jump from one news story to another or from one profile to another on Facebook, from one photo to another on Instagram. This state of mental wandering has, like all things, their good side and their bad side. ” Thus the subject of the meditation instructor and astrologer Monika Correia Nobre presented.
For her, “the principle of the creative mind is based on a mental state where we allow thoughts to move without restrictions from one branch to another”. ” Within this practice we can follow the direction of our monkey mind that is handled instinctively, observing with curiosity the spaces that travel the thoughts without questioning where they go and trusting that the trip will help us solve or decipher some issues that, if we analyze them linearly, we could not solve “, he went on.
“Therefore, allowing your mind to play with new ideas or explore fantasies greatly favors finding new results to old problems, as we let go of the rules and stereotypes and begin to move away from them,” said the founder and director of Astro for. , diversity in external stimuli allows us to have new thoughts and thus we can make unusual associations of ideas, things or images, for that reason it is very helpful to see new things, listen to music from other places and know different places and cultures “.
Dispersion, the negative side of the monkey mind
“Staying with only that part of our mental abilities distracts us from the objectives, jumping from branch to branch does not allow us to anchor and materialize our ideas in reality.” Concentration and clarity arise from another mental state called “ox-brain” or the ‘arreo del buey’ in the Buddhist metaphor “, explained Correia Nobre.
Concentration and clarity arise from another mental state called ‘ox-head’ or the ‘ox harness’ in the Buddhist metaphor
And after ensuring that “the ox harness is a synthesis of meditative practice, where you move from jumping from one thought to another as a way to remain active to gather all the energy of the mind in one direction bringing clarity and depth”, The expert exemplified: “Steve Jobs was a practicing meditator, he told his biographer: ‘If you sit and watch yourself, you will see how disturbed your mind is. If you try to calm her, the situation will only get worse. after some time you will achieve it, and you will become aware of more subtle things, your thoughts will slow down, your consciousness will expand and you will see far beyond what you saw before. “He was describing no more and no less than the passage of the mind. from monkey to ox harness “.
How to develop the creative mind: monkey mind
To use the mind of the monkey in favor is to jump intentionally from branch to branch since that will allow us to feed on what surrounds us.
Some ideas may be:
- View images and stories from remote places and times, listen to music from different cultures or meet people or inspiring places opens the field of perception and allows to include new spheres of knowledge.
- Also, read new things every day, learn words, meanings and listen to them while pronouncing them.
- Allow time for creative mental wandering, allowing the mind to travel freely while the relaxed body rests.
How to develop the peaceful mind: ox mind
“Expanding our mental capacity depends on the practice of meditation,” said Correia Nobre, and gave a series of indications to achieve it.
As spaces of silence appear in your interior, those places will generate perceptions of a world that already existed, but that the mental noise did not allow observing
- Give yourself a small space of daily time free from external pressures.
- Sit and relax breathing, observing what happens inside the mind.
- Recognize the incessant movement of thoughts as nature of the mind, without trying to stop them but simply observing their circulation. This is the first step to achieve the “harness of the ox” or to understand it better, is the first step to achieve a harmonious mental state where our thoughts are directed where we want and not where they want.
- Progressively, the speed between the emergence of one thought and the next is going to slow down.
- As spaces of silence appear in your interior, those places will generate incredible perceptions of a world that existed previously, but that the mental noise itself did not allow to observe.
“Focused, light, with clarity and perspective, open to the world, happy and self-conscious, this is the mind that we can enjoy if we use all the benefits of our dual mental capacity”, concluded the expert.