The underfloor heating is an option that is increasingly followers where every year the number of homes with this system, but are still several questions when installing. Many people wonder if the consumption is higher than the system with radiators if it can give problems in the long run, if it is expensive or cheap to install.
Today we are going to review the advantages and disadvantages of underfloor heating, and whether it should be installed or not depending on your home and the needs you may have.
What is the radiant floor?
It is as simple as a network of thin tubes that covers the entire floor of the house, under the tiles, the stage or the parquet. These tubes carry hot or cold water getting hot or cool the house, with a lot of advantages that we will see later.
The fact that it can be used to heat or cool the house is already an advantage because walking barefoot on the cool soil when it is hot is a joy. And we no longer talk about walking on the hot ground when it’s cold. That is why it is increasingly successful, because of the incredible feeling of comfort that can not be achieved in any other way.
Advantages and disadvantages
The floor heating as a heating option has great advantages and some disadvantages that you should know, here I leave the most important.
Advantages of underfloor heating
- The heat is distributed evenly throughout the house. It does not happen as with radiators, which decreases the temperature as you move away.
- The great sensation of comfort when noticing the hot ground without feeling cold for the body, since the warm air tends to rise.
- The heat comes from below and you do not need such high temperatures to get the right thermal sensation.
- It is the most efficient heating system because it does not need high temperatures to heat. The economic expense is much lower than the radiator system.
- It does not occupy space and everything is hidden under the floor.
Disadvantages of underfloor heating
- It is recommended in houses of new construction or in which the ground is being reformed since it must be lifted to install the pipes.
- The installation cost is higher than the radiator system, although it is amortized due to lower gas or electricity costs.
- It takes more time to heat the rooms, so it is advisable to always have it on.
Hybrid heating systems
In cold climates, it is advisable to enhance the radiant floor with boilers, solar thermal panels and heat pumps. The benefits of combining the radiant floor with other heating systems are so many that in countries such as Germany or France is the usual installation.
- They reduce pollution by not relying on fossil fuels , such as gas to heat water or coal in electric heaters.
- With the use of thermal solar panels and heat pumps by aerothermal, non-polluting renewable energies are used.
- You can save both energy and economic expense.
So is it advisable to use underfloor heating? Yes, it is, because it spends less gas and electricity, it is more comfortable and cheaper.